Santa Bárbara Chapel
This large Santa Barbara chapel was commissioned by Bishop José Molina Lario (1766-1775) to facilitate pastoral care to the inhabitants of El Arrabal neighbourhood. The building with some masonry walls and a half-barrel vault was located at one of the ends of the esplanade called Llano del Arrabal. Inside it had a single nave with shallow chapels, a presbytery between two spaces used as a sacristy and a high choir.
It was covered with a barrel vault with lunettes. The cantilevered balcony of the choir stands out. The oldest piece is the carving of Calvary, some remains of the former altarpiece from the Spanish-Flemish school made by the master of La Florida that could date back the 15th century; also noteworthy are the great canvases alluding to the coronation of the Virgin and Descent of the Holy Spirit. The Santa Rosa and Santo Domingo presbytery has been preserved along with the San Miguel Altar. The 17th-century polychrome carving is the most interesting of the chapel’s altarpieces. Also worthy of mention is the altarpiece depicting San Antonio Abad and San Pascual Bailón.
Complementary information for your visit to Albarracín