In 1567 the master builder Quinto Pierres Vedel began the reform, probably on a new floor, an original brick and stone temple, dedicated to Santa María. In its nave, Gothic and Mudejar elements alternate, as well as high-quality altarpieces and chapels, some of which (the table dedicated to the Virgin of La Leche) were looted and are currently preserved in the National Art Museum of Catalonia. In the first chapel on the Gospel side we can admire the Albarracín Community chapel.
The temple has references to the order of Santo Domingo, since together with the Tower of Doña Blanca it was part of the convent erected by these religious from the 17th to the 19th century. The tower, associated with the legend, was the library of the monastery.